Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Brick

Noir in high school is a great concept, sort of hybrid film. I love this premise, but I think I would have liked this movie more if it was set somewhere else. As it was, all I could think about was how irritating and emo those kids were. It just screamed "my life is way worse than everyone else and no one has ever had problems like mine." The plot and characters were so out-there that I'm sure only a handful of people have had to deal with what they did, but that just made it more unbelievable.
I liked the concept and the story was decent, apart they might have worked, but together I think they doomed each other. Maybe that's the point of the film though - everyone is whiny and self-obsessed and you just don't realize it? Or maybe I'm making excuses for a not-so-great movie. I'm glad I saw it, but I don't think I will ever watch it again.

No comments: