Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Manderlay

Interesting set, reminded me of Death of a Salesman (with Hoffman, not sure if there are multiple). I like that the guy who made it was Dutch. It gave the movie an extra element - seeing our history as foreigners see it. And reading up on Von Trier it seems he's quite Anti-American. Doesn't really seem fair seeing as he's never even visited, but there are a lot of Americans who hate Canadians (or whoever) and they've never been there either. Certainly adds to the film. I've read people comparing it to the current Iraq situation which didn't immediately jump out at me, but now that I hear it I feel stupid for not noticing. A lot of interesting themes though: what is freedom, helping for ones own benefit vs what the helpee wants, the exotic black man, Grace hating racism but beating Timothy (self-loathing?). Danny Glover was right, it's a philosophical debate.

I'm still not really sure how to react to it. It's one of those film that sort of stays with you. I would like to see the complete USA- Land of Opportunity trilogy. There doesn't seem to be a lot of continuity through them, but I'm hoping that will take a backseat and not be obnoxious and in-your-face-annoying.

No comments: