Monday, March 26, 2007

Jersey Girl

I'm glad I wasn't able to see this until recently. I remember a lot of controversy over Kevin Smith doing a romantic comedy, worries about it ruining his career and the whole Gigli II aspect of it. Well, I didn't see it as a rom com. I looked at it as a father and a daughter with a romantic subplot, Clerks 2 proved to me that Smith still has it and Lopez was in it for about 15 minutes. I refused to see it for a long time because I didn't want to see the career-ending flick of one of my favorite directors, but I convinced myself that a true fan has to take the good with the bad - or at least form her own opinion. It was certainly a departure for Smith, but it wasn't a bad movie, in fact, I enjoyed it. And I think that the critics saying it's not a true Smith film because it's a different style are sort of missing the point. He showed that he's able to make movies that appeal to people other than his frat boy fan base: that's growth and last I heard it was good to not pigeonhole yourself into something "safe."

No comments: